Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A little hiccup.

Well, we experienced our first little hiccup in the adventure of twin cooking on Sunday at 28w1d.

Saturday was busy - we ran errands, cleaned, organized tiny people things in the nursery and got a whole bunch of stuff done! I decided that I wasn't going to leave my house on Sunday at all. The hubs and I alternated between watching re-runs of The Walking Dead and taking naps. But Sunday afternoon I started noticing more frequent Braxton Hicks contractions. (I have been having Braxton Hicks since week 18, so it was nothing new, just a bit more noticeable than normal).

At 7 pm I started counting them. Six between 7-8 pm. So I drank a ton of water, laid on my left side, and counted them for another hour. Another six. This was my cue to call the doc. The after hours DR recommended I come in just to have things checked out, so I threw on some sweat pants and we headed to L&D at Presby Dallas.

They hooked me up to monitors to check the babies and contractions. The babies were crazy and  moving all over the place! I laid in triage for about 2 hours and probably could have fallen asleep right there I was so tired. My 'contractions' were described as uterine irritability, because they were only lasting about 30 seconds each, and a true contraction lasts 60 seconds (or so I am told). But in addition to monitoring me, they also did a test called an fFN - Fetal Fibronectin Test.

Here's where it gets real fun.

Basically, if the fFN test is negative, there is a 97% chance you will NOT go into labor in the next 2-3 weeks. Well, mine came back positive. The thing is, a positive test result doesn't mean you will go into labor in the next 2-3 weeks... it just means they can't tell you that you won't.

The doc decided he wanted to do an ultrasound to check my cervical length, as that is another thing that could determine whether or not I needed to be concerned about preterm labor. They admitted me for the night so I could have the US done first thing in the morning.

Side note: If my cervical length was short in addition to the positive fFN test, they would have done steroid shots to mature babies lungs quicker. So that was their 'be prepared and take extra concern mentality' - and why I was admitted.

But thankfully the ultrasound showed my cervical length is great! And I was sent home on my merry way with instructions to take it easy, and they will be monitoring me closely for the next few weeks.

We gave Noelle and Keegan a strict lecture and let them know they still need at least 8 more weeks of cooking.

Another side note: My mom and dad are coming to Dallas this weekend to help us finish the nursery! It is looking SO great, and I can't wait to add the finishing touches. We ordered bedding through The Land of Nod, and I am so in love.

No comments: