Monday, March 11, 2013

Camera

While I don't plan on becoming some crazy photographer (let's face it, I am usually the last person to whip out my camera at events...), I do want to capture memories as we grow our little family. And my digital camera just wasn't cutting it. A few years back, I purchased a Canon Powershot XS500  from Best Buy. I can't even really remember why. It's heavy, and while it does have the potential to get some good shots, I just never put the time into figuring out the settings. Essentially it is just a digital camera - no extra lenses or special features at all.

The Hubs and I were both blessed with unexpected bonuses and a great tax return for the year, so we decided to treat ourselves to one thing each! We make really smart (in my opinion) financial decisions, so its very out of the ordinary for us to splurge unless its for a special occasion. I decided a DSLR camera would be my splurge.

Here's another thing... the last time I made a big purchase, I didn't make the best choice. Last summer I reaaaalllly wanted road bikes. I thought I would become this super cyclist and love the sport, so we went out and bought two brand new Trek bikes. While we did enjoy riding them every once in awhile, it just wasn't a passion. And then I got pregnant. So, last month we sold them on Craigslist - and while we did get a big chunk of our money back, we definitely took a hit. It was a 'live and learn' moment in my books.

When I told Justin I wanted a camera, you should have seen the look I got. "Um, are you sure?" ... "Yes. I mean I think so, yes! Yes, I do!" haha. SO. After checking out all these entry-level DSLR cameras, I decided not to jump to one of the higher-priced options just because they looked cool. I set my budget at about $700, which I knew would get me a perfectly capable camera. After talking to Tess, she told me about camera package deals at Costco. We have a Sam's Club membership, so that's where we went!

I basically had three package options in my price range. The packages came with extra lenses, so I could have chosen from any camera below, if I wanted the camera, only:
  • Nikon 3000 - $500 
  • Nikon 3100 - $600
  • Canon EOS Rebel T3 - $580
  • Nikon 3200 - $770 *** Out of budget, but I thought twice!
  • Canon EOS Rebel T3i - $798 ***Out of budget, but I thought twice!
My sister has the Canon EOS Rebel T3, and I have been super impressed with the quality of images she's snapped with the camera. That, plus the fact that I have her 'advice and expertise' at my finger tips, was the deciding factor. The Rebel T3 it was!

I am super thrilled to play around with the camera over the next few weeks before Noelle and Keegan make their debut. Any suggestions on where I should start? Youtube videos, books, websites to learn tricks??

5 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.deliacreates.com/p/blog-page.html

This blog has good tutorials!

Emily said...

That's the camera Stan bought me for my birthday last year too and the quality of pics is amazing even though I have no clue how to use it.

I'm totally going to check out the blog your sis recommended. Have fun capturing those babies grow!

Love-Lee said...

Thanks, sister!

And Emily - I didn't realize that's the one you have! Yay! We can share tips. :)

Marci @ a smile a day said...

everyone is getting fancy cameras lately- it's making me want one!!! but i never even use my digital anymore. I have been so bad & just use my phone now!

Tess @ AModernSuburbanitesLife said...

I've been meaning to take a class. I read the manual and got a lot of out it really, and just took a million pictures of one thing in all the different settings for practice. have fun!