Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Perpetual Journaling

I grew up in a house with a craft room. Not a craft closet, but an entire room with ceiling to floor shelving full of crafty craziness. My mom and sister lived in that room, and I would visit on occasion.

My craft past would usually go something like this: Kayla would make something adorable... and I would copy it. Or.. I would pull out all of my pictures, paper, stickers and lay them all out on the floor, and smiling say, "Now what?"

It's not that I didn't like making things - that part I loved! It was just hard for me to come up with my own ideas. Luckily, thanks to Pinterest I still don't have to come up with my own ideas! Ha! But, I have been 'coming into my own' when it comes to creativity, so I thought I would share a recent project.

This is a Perpetual Journal.

One of my goals for 2012 was to start journaling. I read a book called 'A Fresh Brewed Life,' and it gave a lot of insight into the importance of keeping a daily journal. I was really bad at it though. So instead, I began a perpetual journal that just requires me to write down one thought per day!

It was really easy to make. I took a pack of the jumbo index cards and cut them in half with a paper cutter, until I had 365 half sheets. Then, I took an old-school date stamp and stamped the date on every.single.sheet. That took the longest, but I did it while watching the Bachelor, so I got into a rhythm.

Then, I took pieces of cute cardstock and cut them a bit taller than my index cards as the month dividers. Every day when I jot down a thought, I move it to the back of the box so the next day is ready. (I bought that little box at Hobby Lobby for $6 with my 40% off coupon). Just need to make the little tag for the front.

This has worked out well for me, and I am looking forward to skimming through my journal at the end of the year so I remember bits and pieces of daily life as I know it. I have written things down about what we made for dinner, bible verses from church, how cruddy I felt last week with the worst cold ever, yada yada.

Oh, and that is a new print I bought off Etsy, and framed in a vintage frame we got while garage sailing in ATX last summer. It makes me happy!

3 comments:

Marci @ a smile a day said...

Oh my goodness this is such a great idea!! My friend started a journal not too long ago with a few things she is thankful for every day. I need to do something like that. It's hard to believe how we can look back on the year before & barely remember any of it. I think everyone should make a goal to do something similar to this. LOVE LOVE LOVE! keep up the blogging, you are great at it!

Unknown said...

Girl you have stepped up your craftiness and now I'm copying YOU!

Tess @ AModernSuburbanitesLife said...

I love this, dont know how i just found it!