Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Making Baby Food

No, I didn't start making baby food because I am a super health-nut who doesn't want to feed my babies canned baby food. In fact, the first foods they ate were canned, and I have quite a large supply of canned baby food in my pantry right now! It's easy, quick, convenient... and expensive!

I stopped breastfeeding at 4 months when I started back on Humira for severe chronic ulcerative colitis I have battled since 9th grade. The scary "what-ifs" of the medicine made the decision for me, because if it was my personal choice I would still be breastfeeding. But, it is what it is, and after a lot of internal struggle I have accepted this fact! That being said... formula is dang expensive!! A couple awesome girlfriends collect the similac coupons for me, and I get some here and there in the mail. But a tub of similac sensitive for $23.99 lasts me three days. That's about $240 a month, or $1,920 for the 8 months Keegan and Noelle will take formula before transitioning to other milks.Yep. Babies are expensive. Two babies are really expensive. :)

Back to the homemade baby food.....

It relaxes me. Is that weird? I don't like to cook. Sorry, hubs. But, I have found I love to make baby food. There is something about watching my freezer fill up with fresh, organic (when possible), frozen cubes of perfection, that just makes me so happy!

In the past two weeks, I've made carrots, sweet potatoes, bananas and butternut squash. I plan to start making 'combo' flavored fruits and veggies sometime next week as the babies pallets grow. I am careful to only introduce a new food every couple of days so if they develop any sort of weird reaction I can catch it quickly. So far they haven't, and they love everything... except bananas!

I'm learning, and doing a ton of googling to find out tips & tricks of baby-food making! Fellow Dallas twin-mom, Amber, has done a terrific job of documenting baby food making on her blog and I have checked it several times!

No comments: